Motorcycle Accidents are Common
For all its excitement, appeal, and adventure, biking has its dangers: motorcycle accidents are tragically common through the United States, and the beautiful state of New Mexico is no exception. Tourists and residents alike who ride through the deserts, forests, and cities of the state face the possibility of injury and death on a regular basis. Some accidents are due to natural causes and are unavoidable, but those only account for a small percentage of crashes. Far more often, the cause is one of these human factors:
- Vehicle drivers failing to see motorcyclists. This problem is magnified for drivers of very large vehicles, such as tour buses, moving trucks, and tractor trailers.
- Drivers simply displaying reckless behavior around motorcyclists, because of frustration, hurry, or simply a dislike for motorcycles.
- Dangerous road conditions created through negligence on the part of the agency responsible for maintenance
- Faulty equipment on the motorcycle itself
Victims of motorcycle accidents in New Mexico should never assume that they were completely at fault without consulting with a personal injury lawyer first. In a free consultation with Killian Davis Richter & Mayle, you can find out if you are eligible for compensation for your accident.
Fault in Motorcycle Accident Cases
Establishing fault is one of the most important components of your personal injury case. If your case goes to trial, the court will try to decide whether:
- You were entirely at fault, causing the accident through recklessness or negligence
- Both parties were partly at fault, sharing the blame for any injuries that occurred
- The other party (driver, maintenance agency, or manufacturer) was entirely at fault and is responsible to fully cover your recovery costs
Insurance companies for drivers and companies often try to claim that the motorcyclist contributed to the accident, but the truth is that in many cases, drivers simply do not extend to bikers the attention and courtesy that they give other drivers. For example, they may suddenly merge into another lane, cutting off a motorcyclist and causing them to crash. An insurance company might try to argue that the motorcyclist was partly responsible for the accident, although the driver was completely at fault.
Justice for Motorcycle Accident Victims
Riding a motorcycle does not mean that you have fewer rights than the other drivers on the road. We are committed to helping victims get the help they need to recover after an accident caused by negligence. When we take your case, we quickly:
- Assemble whatever evidence and testimony is available to prove the other party’s responsibility for your injuries
- Write up a demand based on your injuries, property damage, lost work, and other present and future expenses
- Use our experience in similar cases to win you a fast, fair settlement
- Take your case to court if necessary and fight to have you treated fairly under the law